You're Going to Learn So Much at This Oklahoma City Writer's Conference!We're giving you everything we've got when it comes to writing...so you can be more prepared than ever!
Here is just a sample of the topics we'll be covering at the WriterCon Writer's Conference in Oklahoma City...
- How to develop an online course.
...and more reasons you should attend!
- And SO MUCH more!
Don't miss this unique opportunity!
Join editors, agents, veteran authors and first-time writers for a weekend that will ignite your career!
Our World Class Writer's Conference SpeakersAuthors, agents and editors. You'll be learning from the best of the best--with decades upon decades of real-life experience among them.
Learn from the Best in the Biz!
WriterCon is an array of writers, readers, publishers, agents, and editors–all sharing a passion for the literary life. An inspiring and illuminating communion to recharge and refocus.
WriterCon is a quality conference, extremely well-run and hospitable. Great faculty and spirit among the participants. A definite recommend.
2020 Oklahoma City Writer's Conference ScheduleSchedule subject to change.
With more than 60 classes, there’s something for everyone at the 2020 WriterCon Writer’s Conference!
Also–join us for a very special Saturday Night Banquet! This year, WriterCon is taking advantage of the Skrivin’s beautiful Venetian Room to provide an unparalleled experience for you! For a small additional charge, you will have a first-class meal in a gorgeous ballroom with a breathtaking view of the city. During the banquet, we will announce the winners of the contests and you will hear the keynote address from our Guest-of-Honor, Christopher Vogler.
Want more one-on-one time with our speakers? We have VERY limited number of tickets to each “Lunch with the Stars.” Each meal is a laid back, small group session you’ll never forget. If you’re interested, get your ticket today. Last year they sold out FAST!
Get the most out of the weekend!
Upgrade your conference by signing up for Mastercraft classes on Monday. Extend your stay by one day and join us for a small class intensive or two that will take your writing–and career–to the next level. Choose from any of the following…
In this comprehensive masterclass, you’ll learn not just the foundational principles of getting a book published, but you’ll also gain expert insight into the changing landscape of the publishing industry, and how you can navigate your own path toward success. Learn what it takes to capture the attention of a New York publisher or literary agent, plus when self-publishing or hybrid options might be best suited for your strengths or business goals.
This masterclass will cover:
• How to evaluate the commercial potential of your project and what it takes to appeal to a New York publisher or literary agent—plus how to use databases and online tools to identify the right home for your work.
• What professional submissions materials look like. Your query letter should be short and sweet and pack a punch. Learn what it means to sell your story, and how to avoid problems that plague (and sabotage) authors.
• When a literary agent is necessary or desirable. You’ll learn what the standard agenting practices are and how to make sure you don’t get involved with a bad one.
• How to evaluate publishers outside of New York. The world of independent publishers—including university presses, small presses, and regional presses—is vast and can sometimes be more challenging to understand than New York publishing, as they all operate a bit differently.
• The author platform dilemma. Not too far into your publishing journey, you’ll hear agents and editors talk about platform. Is it necessary to have one to get published? How big does it have to be? There aren’t easy answers, but you’ll learn what industry expectations are.
• How publishers market books (or not) and the role that authors play in sales success.
• Amazon and the role of algorithms in book retailing, sales, and marketing. Amazon is the biggest book retailer in the US and is by far the strongest player on the book publishing scene. You’ll learn what you can and can’t control here, and how to play the best game possible without breaking the rules.
• Everything you need to know about the self-publishing and hybrid publishing landscape, in plain English. Learn the best practices of professional, self-publishing authors and if it’s a realistic option for you.
At the end of the class, you’ll have a comprehensive, business understanding of the book publishing industry and an author’s place in the ecosystem of agents, publishers, and retailers. You’ll gain a deep understanding of the commercial publishing business model, how hybrid and self-published authors compete and succeed, and how you can approach the process with the right expectations and mindset.
Web developer and fiction writer Caro Bégin will guide students through the creation (or optimization) of their own author website. Highly interactive, this class will consist of bite-sized lectures followed by hands-on implementation sessions. Bring a laptop and get ready to build (or improve) your online presence. By the end of the class, you will have an author website that will help you collect more newsletter subscribers, sell more books, and improve your overall marketing strategy. While WordPress will be the platform used during the demonstrations, authors using Wix, Squarespace, or other platforms will be able to follow along and take action. Authors with no existing website should enroll in the following free course and purchase their domain name and WordPress.org hosting before attending this class: https://gocreate.me/writercon
After getting a brief overview of domain names, hosting, email, security certificates, and newsletter services, you will learn how to:
· Define your website’s goals
· Choose the right colors and fonts based on your genre(s)
· Structure your site and streamline your content so your call-to-action is always “above the fold”
· Collect newsletter subscribers and (optionally) deliver a free story as a thank-you gift for signing up
· Use different page layouts to achieve different goals
· Create effective book pages with links to retailers
· Determine if blogging is a good idea
· Include tracking information to improve your marketing strategy
· Optimize your pages so people can find you on Google
· Speed up your site and keep it secure
· Increase your income with affiliate programs
All about fiction!
Secure My Seat in a Masterclass!
Don't miss this opportunity. Join us in Oklahoma City now!
JUST ANNOUNCED: WIN A BOOK CONTRACT!
Have a great manuscript? It’s time to show the world!
Enter our 2020 contest and you may be the winner of a book publishing contract with Balkan Press. Plus, winners in each category will be published in Conclave 2021.
There’s no better time to jumpstart your writing career!
Register Now for WriterCon Writer's Conference in Oklahoma City!
|Main Event (3-Day Conference Registration) - EARLY BIRD REGISTRATION||$299.99|
|Sunday "Writer's Journey" Lunch with Christopher Vogler||$89.99|
|Saturday Night Banquet||$59.99|
|MASTERCLASS: The Business of Getting Published||$149.99|
|Contest Entry Fee||$19.99|
|Saturday Lunch with a Publishing Expert||$89.99|
|Friday Lunch with Agents Amy Brewer & Patty Carothers||$99.99|
|MASTERCLASS: The Writer's Journey w/Christopher Volger||$149.99|
|MASTERCLASS: Pillars of an Effective Website w/Caro Bégin||$149.99|
CANCELLATION POLICY: Refunds will be granted if notice of cancellation is given prior to July 15, 2020. After that date, refunds will not be granted, though paid registrations may be applied to future programs.
Note: Hotel room cancellation requests must be directed to the hotel.