You're Going to Learn So Much at This Oklahoma City Writer's Conference!We're giving you everything we've got when it comes to writing...so you can be more prepared than ever!
Here is just a sample of the topics we'll be covering at the WriterCon Writer's Conference in Oklahoma City...
- How to develop an online course.
...and more reasons you should attend!
- And SO MUCH more!
Don't miss this unique opportunity!
Join editors, agents, veteran authors and first-time writers for a weekend that will ignite your career!
Our World Class Writer's Conference SpeakersAuthors, agents and editors. You'll be learning from the best of the best--with decades upon decades of real-life experience among them.
Learn from the Best in the Biz!
2019 Oklahoma City Writer's Conference ScheduleSchedule subject to change.
With more than 60 classes, there’s something for everyone at the 2019 WriterCon Writer’s Conference!
Also–join us for a very special Saturday Night Banquet! This year, WriterCon is taking advantage of the Skrivin’s beautiful Venetian Room to provide an unparalleled experience for you! For a small additional charge, you will have a first-class meal in a gorgeous ballroom with a breathtaking view of the city. During the banquet, we will announce the winners of the contests and you will hear the keynote address from our Guest-of-Honor, James Scott Bell.
Want more one-on-one time with our speakers? We have VERY limited number of tickets to our Friday night Dinner with the Stars with Erin Hennicke, and Saturday Lunch with the Stars with James Scott Bell. Each meal is a laid back, small group session you’ll never forget. If you’re interested, get your ticket today. Last year they sold out within hours!
Get the most out of the weekend!
Upgrade your conference by signing up for Mastercraft classes on Monday. Extend your stay by one day and join us for a small class intensive or two that will take your writing–and career–to the next level. Choose from any of the following…
In this 6 hour workshop, #1 bestselling writing coach James Scott Bell will teach you the innovative tools and techniques that will move your fiction from good to unforgettable.
During this time, you’ll learn about:
– The “mirror moment,” a crucial beat that reveals the true heart of your story
– The secrets of dazzling dialogue–the fastest way to improve any manuscript
– The essence of irresistible fiction
– The magical mirror moment that will illuminate your entire story
– The stakes that make your story worth reading
– The LOCK System for a strong foundation
– The “Doorways of No Return” that guarantee solid structure, every time
– The 7 keys to creating unforgettable characters
– The fastest way to improve any manuscript
– The essentials of dazzling dialogue
– How to find what agents and editors always ask for–and what readers are drawn to: a unique, compelling voice
– The three-pronged secret to developing “voice”
…and much, much more. Sign up today!
USA Today Bestselling author Lauren Smith will take students through all the critical elements of creating a brand and establishing an online presence on social media and other mediums to enable readers to find and identify them by their writing. Smith will also address connected concepts to author branding such as–marketing and the craft of writing as well as career development. Smith focuses on practical tips to make your website, blog, and social media accounts engaging, unique and reader friendly in order to encourage sales. Writers who are published and those just getting started can all benefit from the various lessons in this comprehensive course.
You will learn how to:
• Figure out what your brand is
• Learn the basics every writer website needs
• Study the basics of Facebook, Twitter and Instagram
• Learn about alternative branding sites: Amazon Author Central, Book Bub
• The art of author newsletters and why you need them
• Learning the traits of readers and how they interact with authors
• The “Naughty List” of things you should NEVER do
• The basics of promoting yourself and your work
• Embracing the extrovert nature of promotion while being introverted
• The joys of author branding and discovering your career path.
Multi-award winning author Bob Burke will take a small group of writers through the process of planning and writing a nonfiction book, focusing on how to bring the story to life, how to give it broad appeal, how to make the personal universal, and how to make the true story read with the same page-turning engagement as a good novel. Burke will focus on practical tips to make nonfiction work professional and publishable. In addition, he will discuss marketing and publication options.
You will learn how to:
· Hook readers on the first page
· Make your true story irresistible
· Make readers care about the people in the story
· Sustain interest
· Explore publication options
· Edit for success
· Learning the hallmarks of publishable writing style
Author and marketing expert David Gaughran will show you how to draw up a marketing plan which will really launch a series, showing you not just how to use important tools like newsletters, email swaps, reader sites, Facebook, and BookBub, but also how they all should interact for maximum effect. David will help each participant build a marketing plan from start to finish, and then discuss the actual execution of it, considering Facebook, BookBub Ads, Amazon Ads, and other possible resources.
You will learn how to:
* Determine what marketing opportunities are worth your attention, and which are a waste of time.
* Draw up a marketing plan which suits your goals and needs, and then execute it efficiently.
* Identify your true comp authors for cross promotional opportunities and ad targets.
* Leverage your mailing list for maximum launch impact.
* Turbocharge series sales by using backlist to move frontlist.
* Build momentum with Facebook and BookBub.
* Convince Amazon to take over and do the selling for you.
Bestselling author William Bernhardt will take a small group of writers through the process of creating audiobooks, podcasts, audio blogs, and other ways of expanding your writing career through the spoken word. He will cover the entire process, from fundamentals to finished product, whether you want to record your own work or produce audiobooks of your work narrated by others. He will cover the tech details—what equipment, what post-production standards, as well as performance aspects—what makes for an engaging, dynamic narrative voice. He will also discuss the use of audio for promoting your work with blogs, podcasts, and other digital devices.
You will learn how to:
· Create your own audio studio
· Handle editing and post-production work
· Narrate like a pro, or hire a great narrator
· Distribution: Wide or exclusive? Findaway or ACX?
· Understand what makes a great audiobook
· Blog or podcast?
· What makes a great audiobook
· How to use audiobooks to boost your sales
Best-selling author and certified digital marketing professional Christopher P.N. Maselli will help you learn how to CREATE and AUTOMATE your marketing efforts so you can not only make an impact, but also spend more time writing and less time building your platform!
You’ll discover how to get noticed and grow your online presence using proven tools and insider tips. This course will include:
HOUR 1: How to Build a Social Media Marketing Machine in 21 Days – Don’t have time for building your platform? Chris will show you how he easily creates content for nearly a dozen channels and sends it out automatically 365 days a year.
HOUR 2: How I Gain THOUSANDS of Followers Monthly on Social Media – Chris will share the methods he uses to build his platform massively every month—reaching actual, targeted people—with minimal effort.**
HOUR 3: Monetizing Social Media – Social media is great—but it’s even better when it brings in income for you as an author. In this session discover how you can establish yourself as an authority, build your email list and supplement your income.
Take the mystery out of marketing. Discover how to reach more people…automagically!
**Chris shared this with a small group at last year’s conference and within months several of the class members who followed his principles had THOUSANDS of new, targeted followers. Don’t miss out!
We recommend you attend Chris’ conference session, Establishing Your Author Brand on Social Media as pre-requisites to these sessions. When you put all these tools into practice, you’re platform could take off like never before!
Nancy Miller will take you through the journey of creating and writing your own TV series. The politics, the plan of action, the step-by-step process, how to get your show on the air and writing for a visual medium. Miller will tell you how she created four series and survived a 31-year career in television.
You will learn how to take an idea from conception to pre-production, production, and post-production. That includes the pitch to network and studio executives, how to write “the elevator pitch” and why that is so important. Creating compelling characters and the world they will inhabit. The story you will tell in the pilot. What happens when they buy it, and quickly learning that TV is a collaborative medium and the studio and network are your partners.
Next, how to structure the outline. Pitching the outline. Getting notes on the outline. Writing the first draft of your script and getting notes. Writing the second draft, more notes. Turning in your final draft and waiting.
When your pilot is picked up and your story approved, pre-production begins. Hiring a director. Putting together a great cast. Hiring your crew. Location scouting. Wardrobe discussions. The budget. The schedule.
Production begins. Dealing with the actors and the director. Defending what you wrote and explaining why it’s important and necessary. Rewriting on set. The fragility of giving notes to an actor and the consequences if you do it wrong. Solving problems on the fly. How to make your schedule and come in on budget.
Post-production. The editing, music, sound. Foley. ADR. Final notes. The mix. Locking the picture. Testing the pilot.
Sleeping for a week. And God willing, your pilot is picked up to series.
You will learn how to:
– Pitch to television executives.
– Deal with your studio and network.
– How to deal with their notes, good and bad, and their needs.
– What you need to know about pre-production.
– What you need to know about shooting.
– What happens in post-production.
– and much more!
Seating is limited!
Don't miss this opportunity. Join us in Oklahoma City now!
Location & Lodging at WriterCon Writer's Conference in Oklahoma City
This year’s conference will be held at the historic Skirvin Hilton in downtown OKC.
Discover the charm of Oklahoma City when you stay at the famous Skirvin Hilton Hotel! This Four Star hotel is located just steps from the Bricktown Entertainment District, with plenty of dining and sightseeing options.
Get a special group rate by calling 1-800-HILTONS and mentioning group code WRITE–or click here to book online. Reserved space is limited, so book your room today!
JUST ANNOUNCED: WIN A BOOK CONTRACT!
Have a great manuscript? It’s time to show the world!
Enter our 2019 contest and you may be the winner of a book publishing contract with Babylon Books. Plus, winners in each category will be published in Conclave.
There’s no better time to jumpstart your writing career!
Register Now for WriterCon Writer's Conference in Oklahoma City!
|Saturday Lunch with the Stars - with James Scott Bell||$79.99||Sold Out|
|Friday Night Dinner with the Stars - with Erin Hennicke||$79.99||Sold Out|
|Saturday Night Banquet||$39.99|
|MASTERCLASS: Taking Your Fiction Deep w/James Scott Bell||$149.99|
|MASTERCLASS: Author Branding 101 w/ Lauren Smith||$74.99|
|MASTERCLASS: Author Social Media Marketing w/ Christopher P.N. Maselli||$74.99|
|MASTERCLASS: Marketing Uncovered w/ David Gaughran||$74.99|
|Contest Entry Fee||$14.99|
|MASTERCLASS: Audio Boot Camp w/William Bernhardt||$74.99|
|MASTERCLASS: Bringing Non-Fiction to Life w/Bob Burke||$74.99|
|Main Event (3-Day Conference Registration)||$349.99|
|MASTERCLASS: From Pitch to Production w/Nancy Miller||$74.99|
CANCELLATION POLICY: Refunds will be granted if notice of cancellation is given prior to July 15, 2019. After that date, refunds will not be granted, though paid registrations may be applied to future programs.
Note: Hotel room cancellation requests must be directed to the hotel.