You're Going to Learn So Much at This Oklahoma City Writer's Conference!We're giving you everything we've got when it comes to writing...so you can be more prepared than ever!
Here is just a sample of the topics we'll be covering at the WriterCon Writer's Conference in Oklahoma City...
- How to develop an online course.
...and more reasons you should attend!
- And SO MUCH more!
Don't miss this unique opportunity!
Join editors, agents, veteran authors and first-time writers for a weekend that will ignite your career!
Rest assured: We’re putting safety first!
During these uncertain times, we’re taking precautions to ensure you’re able to attend WriterCon in a safe and healthy environment. At WriterCon, you’ll find:
- Every attendee will receive a face mask, and wearing them will be REQUIRED.
- Hand sanitizer will be available in every classroom and at the booktables.
- Classroom table will be sanitized between each session.
- Social distancing will be observed in all seating arrangements.
And, of course, if you can’t attend in person, you can also live-stream the conference.
Learn from the Best in the Biz!
Our World Class Writer's Conference SpeakersAuthors, agents and editors. You'll be learning from the best of the best--with decades upon decades of real-life experience among them.
WriterCon is a quality conference, extremely well-run and hospitable. Great faculty and spirit among the participants. A definite recommend.
WriterCon is an array of writers, readers, publishers, agents, and editors–all sharing a passion for the literary life. An inspiring and illuminating communion to recharge and refocus.
2020 Oklahoma City Writer's Conference ScheduleSchedule subject to change.
With more than 60 classes, there’s something for everyone at the 2020 WriterCon Writer’s Conference!
Also–join us for a very special Saturday Night Banquet! This year, WriterCon is taking advantage of the Skrivin’s beautiful Venetian Room to provide an unparalleled experience for you! For a small additional charge, you will have a first-class meal in a gorgeous ballroom with a breathtaking view of the city. During the banquet, we will announce the winners of the contests and you will hear the keynote address from our Guest-of-Honor, Christopher Vogler.
Want more one-on-one time with our speakers? We have VERY limited number of tickets to each “Lunch with the Stars.” Each meal is a laid back, small group session you’ll never forget. If you’re interested, get your ticket today. Last year they sold out FAST!
Get the most out of the weekend!
Upgrade your conference by signing up for Mastercraft classes on Monday. Extend your stay by one day and join us for a small class intensive or two that will take your writing–and career–to the next level. Choose from any of the following…
In this comprehensive masterclass, you’ll learn not just the foundational principles of getting a book published, but you’ll also gain expert insight into the changing landscape of the publishing industry, and how you can navigate your own path toward success. Learn what it takes to capture the attention of a New York publisher or literary agent, plus when self-publishing or hybrid options might be best suited for your strengths or business goals.
This masterclass will cover:
• How to evaluate the commercial potential of your project and what it takes to appeal to a New York publisher or literary agent—plus how to use databases and online tools to identify the right home for your work.
• What professional submissions materials look like. Your query letter should be short and sweet and pack a punch. Learn what it means to sell your story, and how to avoid problems that plague (and sabotage) authors.
• When a literary agent is necessary or desirable. You’ll learn what the standard agenting practices are and how to make sure you don’t get involved with a bad one.
• How to evaluate publishers outside of New York. The world of independent publishers—including university presses, small presses, and regional presses—is vast and can sometimes be more challenging to understand than New York publishing, as they all operate a bit differently.
• The author platform dilemma. Not too far into your publishing journey, you’ll hear agents and editors talk about platform. Is it necessary to have one to get published? How big does it have to be? There aren’t easy answers, but you’ll learn what industry expectations are.
• How publishers market books (or not) and the role that authors play in sales success.
• Amazon and the role of algorithms in book retailing, sales, and marketing. Amazon is the biggest book retailer in the US and is by far the strongest player on the book publishing scene. You’ll learn what you can and can’t control here, and how to play the best game possible without breaking the rules.
• Everything you need to know about the self-publishing and hybrid publishing landscape, in plain English. Learn the best practices of professional, self-publishing authors and if it’s a realistic option for you.
At the end of the class, you’ll have a comprehensive, business understanding of the book publishing industry and an author’s place in the ecosystem of agents, publishers, and retailers. You’ll gain a deep understanding of the commercial publishing business model, how hybrid and self-published authors compete and succeed, and how you can approach the process with the right expectations and mindset.
In this session, the world-renowned Christopher Vogler will explain a twelve-stage, myth-inspired method that has galvanized storytelling since the first edition of his famous book was released. Vogler’s comprehensive theory of story structure and character development has met with universal acclaim. He will explain his approach with examples from myths, fairy tales, and classic movies. Vogler has changed the face of writing worldwide during the last 25 years and continues to do so.
Deborah Raney’s MasterClass will focus on various aspects of writing for the faith-based market, starting with where to find ideas and inspiration and how to find a publishing home for your novel. The sessions will cover many nuts-and-bolts writing tools that apply to all genres, including:
• Writing Cinematically—Making your book read like a movie (in hopes it may one day be optioned)
• Strong characterization—Writing real, flawed-yet-likeable characters with a believable growth arc
• Deft use of point-of-view—Making sure you are writing from the best point-of-view for each scene
• Complex, compelling plots—How to keep readers turning pages even if your story lacks car chases and shoot-outs
The sessions will key on elements unique to faith-based fiction:
• Exploring social issues and faith elements in fiction
• Writing faith-filled (or faith-seeking) characters who aren’t cookie-cutter perfect
• Writing strong, realistic dialogue
• Organically incorporating a life-changing message without being preachy.
Other sessions will explore the business side of a writing career:
• Working with publishing professionals—agent, editors, art department, sales and marketing, etc.
• Handling marketing, publicity, and platform in the faith-based market
• What to expect with income, expenses, budget, taxes, and investing in your career
• Surprising “secrets” of the writing life—being a writer may not be what you thought (and it may be even better!)
Deb will be joined by her husband, Ken Raney, in the final session to discuss the pros and cons of traditional publishing vs. independent publishing or hybrid publishing. They will outline what it takes to successfully publish “indie” and work with amazon, BookBub, and other entities in the indie publishing world. This MasterClass will allow plenty of time for Q&A so attendees leave with all the tools they need to write a faith-based novel, as well as getting answers to questions specific to their project.
Buckle up for this high energy, power-packed session with brand strategist and content marketer, Selah Hirsch, owner of Express My Brand. Attendees will experience a hands-on, intensive workshop that will consist of bite-sized lectures woven between implementation sessions. Bring a laptop and get ready to build or improve your personal brand.
Use your personal brand to
– Increase your perceived value
– Get higher paying work
– Raise your prices
– Gain recognition
– Book speaking and opportunity engagements
– Launch your business
– Sell, sell, sell!
The session includes:
– Define “what you want to be known for”
– Set brand goals
– Delve into insights that attract your target audience
– Shape a dynamic brand personality
– Color your visual branded look
– Learn how to make professional images in Canva*
– GO LIVE coaching
– Outline a social media strategy
– Wordsmith fantastic brand messaging
*Attendees should sign up for a free Canva account before the start of the session.
Secure My Seat in a Masterclass!
Don't miss this opportunity. Join us in Oklahoma City now!
NOW: LIVE STREAMING ONLINE!
Can’t make it to OKC? No problem!
Now you can stream the entire conference LIVE! Join us from anywhere in the world for all the main classes, and watch them as they happen, or upon rebroadcast later in the day (starting at 5 PM CST).
Just select the Main Event Streaming Online option at checkout.
JUST ANNOUNCED: WIN A BOOK CONTRACT!
Have a great manuscript? It’s time to show the world!
Enter our 2020 contest and you may be the winner of a book publishing contract with Balkan Press. Plus, winners in each category will be published in Conclave 2021.
There’s no better time to jumpstart your writing career!
Register Now for WriterCon Writer's Conference in Oklahoma City!
CANCELLATION POLICY: Refunds will be granted if notice of cancellation is given prior to July 15, 2020. After that date, refunds will not be granted, though paid registrations may be applied to future programs.
Note: Hotel room cancellation requests must be directed to the hotel.